Welcome to the all new Learn Live website. Why not get involved and join the chat? Join here
Construction LIVE - Diversity in Engineering
Construction LIVE – Diversity in Engineering
Throughout this broadcast we heard from 4 diverse representatives from different parts of Balfour Beatty.
- Louise Long – Regional Estimator,
- Memory Ndlovu – Regional Quantity Surveyor,
- Connor Burgwin – Highways Graduate QS
- Max Grantham – Graduate Quantity Surveyor
The overarching aim of the session was for the panellists to give an insight into their day – to – day roles, including their motivations for getting into Construction, their unique careers paths, as well as the high points of their careers. By gaining an insight into their journeys into the sector, as well as some of the ways they’ve inspired and overcame any barriers, students will leave the session feel empowered and enthusiastic about a prospective professional life in the infrastructure market.
The LIVE CHAT is always open next to the video player so feel free to leave us a question or comment and we’ll get it forwarded to the panel in advance of the broadcast.
Estimator, Balfour Beatty
I always wanted to work in the construction industry. After school studied an Advanced GNVQ in Construction and the Built Environment at Manchester College of Art and Technology to gain a general grounding in construction. After which I studied Quantity Surveying at Salford University. Following my degree, I worked for Dew Construction and moved to Balfour Beatty in 2007. During my time with Balfour Beatty I have worked as a Site QS, a Subcontract Buyer and finally and Estimator based in Worsley.
What I do as an Estimator
- Performing “Quantity Take‐Offs” from the drawings
- Produce the “Bills of Quantities” to facilitate pricing
- Produce and issue supply chain enquires and evaluate supply chain quotes
- Attend site visits
- Build up on rates based upon labour, plant and materials
- Pricing of preliminaries in conjunction with operational and planning staff
- Present financial information for regional board review
- Preparation of the final cost/BoQ/activity schedules for submission to client
- Preparation of the site team handover documents
Quantity Surveyor, Balfour Beatty
Memory has 6 years’ experience within the rail and civil engineering industry, and is currently undertaking the role of a Quantity Surveyor on the Warrington East Phase 2 & 3
Worked as Project Quantity Surveyor for Babcock International various rail projects
Prior to this Memory has worked as Quantity Surveyor for Skanska UK, has taken part in the commercial delivery of the Northern Hub the Ordsall Chord including a Crossrail project – Mile End and Eleanor Street Head houses and tunnelling works
Highways Graduate Quantity Surveyor, Balfour Beatty
I have worked within the construction industry for the last 2 and a bit years since graduating from Liverpool John Moores University where I studied Quantity Surveying.
I am currently working as a graduate QS on the M6 J2 to J4 Smart Motorways Project, Where I have been looking after the Technology packages and the Compound set up and Maintenance.
I will soon be moving to Connect Plus Services down in South Mimms which is the Maintenance contact for the Whole of the M25.
During University I had worked on Projects such as the upgrading Junction 30 of the M25 and the M3 Managed Motorways Scheme.
Graduate Quantity Surveyor, Balfour Beatty
Construction is an exciting industry, always changing and inspiring.
The permanent nature of the work that we do means you can benefit society for many years after you have finished.
I have worked in construction for 4 years now, completing a year in industry in the middle of my degree from Coventry University.
As a Quantity Surveyor, I have worked on:
- Public Realm and Highways Maintenance in Herefordshire
- Street Lighting works in Coventry/Term Maintenance Contract in Warwickshire
- Connect Plus Services: M25 Maintenance
- Scape Civil Engineering and Infrastructure Bid Team
- Midland Metropolitan Hospital, Smethwick
Special events Videos
learnliveuk.com is operated by Learn Live Limited registered in England under company number 08812253, whose registered address is Chorley Business and Technical Centre, Euxton Lane, Chorley PR7 6TE
- What browser should I use to watch this event?
For best performance please ensure you are using Google Chrome on a PC/Laptop. For Mac and tablet/smarphone users the live event will stream fine with Firefox, Safari etc.
- Will I be able to test the live stream before the start of the event?
Yes you can test the video player we will be using for the event by clicking on the video above.
- How do I ask a question before or during the LIVE event?
You will be able to ask questions in advance of the event as well as on the day by using the chat facility above located next to the video player.
For best results please use Google Chrome on a PC/Laptop or Safari/Firefox on a tablet device.